Monday, March 8th is International Womenâ€™s Day. This is a day to celebrate the achievements of women and girls, as well as a day to raise awareness of the work that still needs to be done.
Years back, I was asked why I bothered recognizing this day because â€œwomen here have it pretty good.â€
Since when is â€œpretty goodâ€ the point in which we stop? Since when do we settle with â€œpretty goodâ€? â€œPretty goodâ€ isnâ€™t good enough for me and Iâ€™m not going to stop working for equality at pretty good.
Take action on Monday to do both -celebrate and raise awareness. Here are some ways you can do this:
- Follow these hashtags: #ChooseToChallenge, #HeforShe, #IWD2021
- Find feminist groups or people to follow, so throughout the year you can hear feminist commentary to our world
- Listen for, and speak against, sexist speech and actions
- Donate to an organization that defends and bolsters women, anitaB.org, Canada Women’s Foundation, a local womenâ€™s shelter, or educational opportunities for girls
- Read female authors, watch women created content, and buy from women business owners
This is not a day just for women, this is a day for everyone. Because everyone is better when everyoneâ€™s human rights are honoured.